Find the Latest Resources in Education Today
Press Release: The Public Has Voted: Top Ten Videos Advance to Final Judging Round in ‘Healthy School Makeover Contest’
The Public Has Voted: Top Ten Videos Advance to Final Judging Round in ‘Healthy School Makeover Contest’
One of the ten finalists will win a healthy school makeover worth $45,000
San Diego, CA, December 3, 2012 — After a two-week-long public voting period in which 129,000 votes were cast across the country, it is down to ten finalists for the nationwide Healthy School Makeover Contest. The winning school will now be chosen by a panel of judges. The contest, managed by SPARK™, provider of the world’s most-researched and field-tested physical education program and a division of School Specialty, features a grand prize worth more than $45,000 in products and services from leading organizations including Sportime, AAHPERD/NASPE, Healthy Kids Challenge, Skillastics, Healthy Lifestyle Choices, GenMove, The First Tee, Polar, and the ANNIKA Foundation.
The following ten schools received the most online votes during the public voting period, allowing them to advance to the final round:
• Lakeview School District, Mich.
• Northside Blodgett Middle School, N.Y.
• Summit Elementary, Ohio
• Buffalo Jones Elementary, Kan.
• Mukwonago High School, Wis.
• Felton Elementary School, Calif.
• Pawnee Elementary, Ill.
• Bridger School, Ore.
• Voyager Academy Elementary, N.C.
• Ava R-1 Schools, Mo.
The videos will now be judged based on the rubric featured on the contest website. The winner will be announced on December 10, 2012 and Hall of Fame golfer Annika Sorenstam will present the grand prize to the winning school.
“It is exciting to see how much the schools engaged their communities during the public voting period,” said Paul Rosengard, Executive Director at SPARK. “Hopefully participating in this contest will remind schools and their communities how important quality Physical Education is for the youth of our nation. The childhood obesity epidemic is serious and we need every community to do their part to help counter this growing issue.”
The winning school receives:
• SPARK: SPARK Curriculum and Training package, valued at more than $10,000
• Sportime: Equipment package aligned with SPARK program, valued at up to $9,000
• Healthy Kids Challenge: “Balance My Day” nutrition curriculum package and training, valued at $2,400
• AAHPERD/NASPE: Customized Lets Move in School training package valued at $4,500
• Skillastics: Two Let’s Move in School Skillastics packages and training, valued at more than $2,000
• Healthy Lifestyle Choices: HLC Curriculum and Training package, valued at $5,500
• GenMove: Equipment, programming and training package valued at $3,300
• The First Tee: The First Tee National School Program curriculum, training and equipment, valued at more than$3,200
• Polar: Polar Active classroom pack, valued at $3,300
• ANNIKA Foundation: Annika Sorenstam to present grand prize to winner
To find out more about the judging, or to view the finalists’ videos, visit www.healthyschoolmakeover.com.
SPARK is a collection of research-based Physical Education, After School, Early Childhood, and Coordinated School Health programs for educators serving Pre-K through 12th grade students. Since 1989, SPARK has provided educational resources, teacher training, and consultation to over 100,000 teachers and youth leaders, representing many thousands of schools, organizations, and agencies worldwide. For more information on SPARK, visit www.sparkpe.org or call 1-800-SPARK-PE.
About School Specialty
School Specialty (NASDAQ: SCHS) is a leading education company that provides innovative and proprietary products, programs and services to help educators engage and inspire students of all ages and abilities to learn. The company designs, develops, and provides PreK-12 educators with the latest and very best curriculum, supplemental learning resources, and school supplies. For more information about School Specialty, visit www.schoolspecialty.com.
SPARK Marketing Director
Public Relations for SPARK
Public Relations for SPARK