How a flipped classroom flipped a student’s perspective

A flipped classroom changed one student’s outlook.

The idea of graduating high school is supposed to be exciting: the beginning of a brand new life filled with experience and opportunity. But, when I thought about graduating from high school, I wasn’t excited; I was terrified. While my friends were talking about what colleges they wanted to apply to and their plans for life after high school, I sat in silence, wondering what I would do.

You see, I wasn’t a great student. I struggled through my first two years, scoring a 13 on my first ACT test. I didn’t think I’d get into any college, let alone the college of my dreams; I was convinced I’d spend the rest of my life working for minimum wage. I wanted so much more for myself, but it seemed like that was my only option…until everything changed.

On the first day of classes in my junior year, the principal explained to us that school would no longer be as it once was: our teachers would “flip” the way that they taught.  Instead of sitting in class delivering a lecture, our teachers recorded those lectures and asked us to view them for homework. Then during class, we instead worked on what used to be our homework before the videos–the math problems, the group projects, the labs, etc.

(Next page: How the new format worked in practice)

Comments:

1. greggreen

February 15, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Great article Kylie! We are so proud of you. Keep up the terrific work!!!

2. okayfine87

February 17, 2013 at 5:50 am

Thank you Kylie for your perspective. I hope that more schools will listen and “flip their classes” too.

3. mjohnson716

February 19, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Great story Kylie; congratulations! Hopefully, other schools will support faculty to implement such a program.

• chemgirl60

February 23, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I have been trying for 3 years, but with zero support. In my school the administration is so fearful of not making AYP that they are not willing to take the risk of trying anything new. They will only support methods with loads of supporting data and force it on the teachers in a ‘top down’ punitive management style. The emphasis on judging teachers and school on test scores is ruining public education.

4. sheltonk686

February 22, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Thank you for sharing. We have just begun to look at “flip classrooms”.

5. chemgirl60

February 23, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Awesome! This worked for you, Kylie, because you are motivated to learn. Keep up the great effort; you are successful because YOU are willing to do the hard work of learning.

6. dmoehn

February 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Awesome article! Again, why is it taking so long to implement this change? Good for you Kylie!

7. mrmitchell3

February 27, 2013 at 6:19 pm

This does not work in every class and you cannot take one person’s story and think this could apply to our country as a whole. Students would need internet access at home, would need to be highly motivated and many teachers teach in the classroom, not just lectures. What do you do for elementary schools? Do some research and look into this more for yourself before singing praises.

8. eduongo

March 11, 2013 at 12:07 am

This is an amazing article. I believe Principal Greg Green has done an amazing job with Clintondale High School.

If you’d like to learn more about Greg’s story on Flipping his High School please take a look at this course he’s put together: http://flipped-solutions.eduongo.com

Truly amazing course.