Two “Spotlight Sessions” Explore Strategies for K-12 Schools Conversion to Digital
SAN ANTONIO – June 24, 2013 – At ISTE 2013, Pearson is showcasing the powerful programs and services that will support schools as they make the conversion to digital and personalized learning for all students. This week at the premier technology event for educators from around the world, the company will show attendees the ways its innovative technologies can help them breakthrough the challenges for ensuring college and career readiness, moving to next generation learning and assessment, developing successful intervention strategies and improving educator effectiveness.
At two special Pearson “Spotlight” Sessions, pioneers in digital conversion will share an
in-depth view of how technology is transforming teaching and learning, with a focus that goes beyond the devices, to thoughtful implementation, data-informed instruction, and standards-based content to raise achievement for every student:
On Monday, June 24 at 4:15 pm – a panel of industry experts will provide an in-depth view of how technology is transforming teaching and learning and how an effective 1:1 model can support the change of practice and culture necessary to implement a digital conversion. Panelists include Larry Singer, Pearson’s executive vice president, K12 Sales and Marketing; Anthony Salcito, Microsoft’s vice president, Worldwide Education; Eileen Lento, Intel’s director, Education Marketing and Strategy; Jon Phillips, Dell’s managing director, Global Education Strategy & Solutions Practice; and HP’s Gus Schmedlen, vice president, Worldwide Education.
Wednesday, June 26 at 8:30 am – Dr. Mark Edwards, superintendent of Mooresville Graded School District in North Carolina – the site of President Obama’s recent ConnectEd school broadband initiative announcement – will provide an inside look into his book, “Every Child, Every Day: A Digital Conversion Model for Student Achievement,” highlighting the path his district took to digital conversion that has catapulted it from #109 to #2 in the state.
In addition, Pearson solutions showcased at ISTE 2013 include:
• aimsweb — The next generation of the powerful system that integrates assessment, data management and reporting and provides educators decision-making tools. Data is delivered through a new, state-of-the-art interface, featuring dynamic and interactive screens, and hovers that allow teachers to quickly access more information about a student or task.
• Flipped Learning – In collaboration with the Flipped Learning Network, Pearson provides educators with tools, resources and professional development for implementing this new instructional model that transforms the classroom from a teacher-centered to student-centered learning environment A comprehensive review of the emerging literature on flipped learning will be featured at ISTE 2013 as well as a new professional development offering, “Foundations of Flipped Learning.”
• iLit – A core reading program for struggling readers, and the first and only complete instructional solution built and delivered on iPad. iLit offers each student personalized learning support based on their own instructional needs, engaging interactivities, and built-in reward systems that motivate students and track their progress.
• OpenClass – A dynamic, scalable, cloud-based learning environment that stimulates social learning and enables the distribution of content at massive scale to students wherever they are. OpenClass is a new kind of learning management system (LMS) delivered from the Cloud. It is easy to use and completely free. There are no hardware, licensing or hosting costs, thus enabling widespread adoption of new learning approaches that encourage interaction within the classroom and around the world.
• Reading Maturity Metric (RMM) – A free tool for measuring the difficulty of text, the RMM provides 30 percent greater validity and reliability in predicting grade levels assigned to texts by Common Core experts and in predicting levels of student reading comprehension.
• Schoolnet: An instructional improvement system that gives educators tools for assessment, curriculum management, reporting, data analysis, and educator development, Schoolnet can import and manage Pearson, third-party, or district-created content to empower teaching and learning.
• SuccessMaker for iPad – SuccessMaker, Pearson’s award-winning program that delivers supplemental instruction in English/language arts and math for grades K-8 to support Common Core learning, is now available for iPad.
Visit www.pearsonk12.com/iste2013 or follow Pearson on Twitter at @PearsonEvents for up-to-the-minute information.
Pearson is the world’s leading learning company, providing educational materials and services, business information through the Financial Times Group, and consumer publishing through the Penguin brand. Pearson serves learners of all ages around the globe, employing 41,000 people in more than 70 countries. For more information, visit www.pearson.com.