Find the Latest Resources in Education Today
Press Release: ADAPTIVE LEADERSHIP, COMMON CORE INTEGRATION, AND THE STUDENT INQUIRY MODEL AMONG TOPICS EXPLORED IN NEW DISCOVERY EDUCATION WEBINAR SERIES
– Live virtual events connect nationwide audience to network of education leaders transforming teaching and learning–
SILVER SPRING, Md., [January 8, 2014] – On January 16 at 7 p.m. ET, Discovery Education, the leading provider of digital content for K-12 classrooms nationwide, will launch a new webinar series featuring some of the most innovative leaders in education examining topics critical to teaching and learning today. Entitled Leadership@NOW, and offered to educators nationwide at no cost, this series commences with a conversation on adaptive leadership featuring Ed Massey, immediate past president of the National School Boards Association. In this webinar, Massey will investigate the many challenges education leaders face today, discuss his personal definition of adaptive leadership, and propose how educators can foster this style of leadership within their own schools.
Topics and dates for future webinars in this series include:
• Making the Digital Conversion, featuring Dr. Karen Woodward, superintendent of Lexington School District One and finalist for AASA’s Women in School Leadership Award, and Dr. Greg Firn, deputy superintendent of academics at Grand Prairie Independent School District. In this webinar coming February 17 at 7 p.m. ET, Woodward and Firn will review the critical steps necessary to catalyze change in the learning environment and maintain the momentum of digital initiatives.
• Preparing Your Staff and Students for the Common Core, featuring Sheila Hyde, director of professional learning at Albuquerque Public Schools, and Dr. Karen Beerer, vice president of professional development at Discovery Education. On March 12 at 7 p.m. ET, Hyde and Beerer will provide practical tools that administrators can bring back to classroom teachers to help enhance instructional practices supporting the Common Core State Standards.
• Telling Your District’s Story, featuring Joe Mazza, Ed.D, lead learner of Knapp Elementary School in Landsdale, Pa. and National Association of Elementary School Principals’ conference presenter, and Steve Dembo, director of social media strategy and online community at Discovery Education. On April 9 at 7 p.m. ET, participants will learn how to take control of their district’s story and share the positive events taking place every day in schools.
• Engaging Learners Through Inquiry and STEM, featuring Tony Sinanis, lead learner of Cantiague Elementary School in NY and National Association of Elementary School Principals’ conference presenter, and Dr. Cindy Moss, director of global STEM initiatives at Discovery Education. On May 15 at 7 p.m. ET, Moss and Sinanis will discuss how the inquiry model can be implemented across curriculum to enhance student engagement and academic success, and share practical, easy-to-integrate teaching examples
To more deeply engage participants in these critical topics, the Leadership@Now series will leverage social media platforms, including Google Hangouts and Edmodo, to further connect participants not only with presenters, but also with fellow participants interested in exploring these issues further. More information and registration information for the Leadership@Now webinar series can be found at http://www.discoveryeducation.com/leadershipnow.
“We are thrilled to present the new Leadership@Now webinar series to educators nationwide,” said Scott Kinney, senior vice president at Discovery Education. “Each of the topics explored in this series is central to the future of teaching and learning. It is our hope that the Leadership@Now webinars will continue to move forward the national conversation on these issues, and encourage more discussion about how educational technologies and digital content can be used to transform teaching and learning.”
For more information about Discovery Education’s Leadership@Now webinar series or other resources and services from Discovery Education, visit www.discoveryeducation.com.
About Discovery Education
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content that supports the implementation of Common Core, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Available in over half of all U.S. schools, community colleges and in 50 countries around the world, Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education is powered by Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK), the number one nonfiction media company in the world. Explore the future of education at www.discoveryeducation.com.