What is it? Hold molecules in your hands. Spin them around. Zoom in for a closer look. Put them in a box and see them move and interact with other molecules. Then, change the temperature and see them transform from solids to liquids to gases—and back again. Explore how atoms in molecules rearrange during chemical reactions.
Best for: Middle school students. Atomsmith is available for older students here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atomsmith-molecule-lab/id659963328?mt=8
Requirements: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- A Molecule Library of 3D models of molecules representing a wide variety of substances found in the everyday world. The Molecule Library also contains numerous links to detailed information about each molecule on the Web (e.g., Wikipedia and YouTube).
- A Live Lab that allows users to place molecules in a virtual box, make them move and interact with each other. Then perform experiments on the molecules by changing variables such as temperature and pressure.
- A Reaction Library containing detailed, interactive models that allow users to follow rearrangements of atoms as reactants turn into products.
- A library of onscreen Tutorials.
- A detailed Glossary of scientific terms related to the structure and energy of atoms and molecules.
- A News feature links to current news articles about molecules in everyday society and commerce. Read the news, then examine models of the featured molecules in the Molecule Lab.
- Aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Middle School Applications