Find the Latest Resources in Education Today
Press Release: DISCOVERY EDUCATION INVITES TEACHERS AND ADMINISTRATORS WORLDWIDE TO DISCOVERY EDUCATOR NETWORK SPRING VIRTCON
– Free online and in person event to provide attendees effective ways to integrate digital media into instructional practice —
Silver Spring, Md. (March 6, 2014) – Discovery Education invites teachers and administrators worldwide to attend the upcoming Discovery Educator Network (DEN) Spring VirtCon on Saturday, April 26. Focused on the theme of digital transformations, this free, day-long professional development event combines both virtual and face-to-face opportunities for educators to learn proven strategies for integrating digital media into classroom instruction to improve student engagement and achievement. Supported by Discovery Education, the leading provider of digital content for K-12 classrooms, the DEN is one of the largest and most active communities of tech-savvy educators passionate about teaching with digital media, sharing resources, collaborating and networking.
A continuation of the conversation that began at Discovery Education’s recent Future@Now forum, this event will feature a variety of online and in person workshops and presentations from thought leaders on the topic of technology integration in schools. Presentations will focus on the following five themes:
• Call to Action: Students Speak – Hear how digital learning is impacting students and ways to incorporate their voices into the digital transformation.
• Planning your Transition: District Administration, Thought Leaders and Policy Makers – Learn about the planning, policy and strategies involved in planning a successful shift to digital.
• Creating a Culture and Community of Change – These sessions focus on ways educators are fostering communities of practice that maximize opportunities for change to flourish.
• Leading from the Front: Teachers as Leaders – Gain insight from teachers helping lead their digital transformations and learn practical, concrete ways to transform existing lessons into new models of engagement.
• Digital by Design: Integrating Digital Resources into the Classroom – These sessions cover ways educators are merging digital resources and instructional methodologies to yield exceptional outcomes.
The Spring VirtCon’s keynote presenters are:
• Dr. David Thornburg, award-winning futurist, author and consultant of the Thornburg Center.
• Chris Kennedy, superintendent of schools/CEO of the West Vancouver School District in British Columbia.
• Karen Ogen, Class of 2012 DEN Guru, DEN Leadership Council member, site coordinator and lead teacher for a media and technology-focused elementary magnet school in the Lexington Richland 5 School District in Columbia, South Carolina.
“The wealth of strategies, tactics and resources I’ve taken away from past DEN VirtCons have helped me effectively use digital tools in my classroom to enhance instruction and create more dynamic lessons for my students,” said Sheila Fredericks, a STEM teacher at Chester County Intermediate Unit in Pennsylvania. “I encourage every educator to make time to participate in the Spring VirtCon. It’s a great forum for learning practical and immediate implementation ideas and connecting with other educators from across the globe.”
A global community of education professionals, the DEN connects members across school systems and around the world through social media, virtual conferences, and in-person events, fostering valuable networking, idea sharing, and inspiration. As one of the largest professional education learning communities, the DEN has impacted more than one million educators worldwide. The DEN conducts two virtual conferences annually. The Fall 2013 VirtCon attracted 3,500 attendees who participated online and at 70 in person events.
“Discovery Education is excited to once again offer the DEN VirtCon as a professional learning opportunity for educators around the world,” said Lance Rougeux, vice president of learning communities and instructional implementation for Discovery Education. “This is an ideal event for educators interested in transforming their classroom or school through the thoughtful integration of digital content to learn new strategies and connect with their peers. I am looking forward to a great event and invite educators worldwide to attend.”
Discovery Education is also encouraging teachers to create local face-to-face events at which they can convene with their peers, participate in the online events and discuss and workshop the online presentations. For more information about the 2014 DEN Spring VirtCon, including details on registration, online and in person events, and hosting local events, visit http://virtconlive.com/. Use the hash tag #DENVirtCon to follow along with this event on Twitter.
To learn more about the DEN and Discovery Education’s other initiatives and services, visit www.discoveryeducation.com.
About Discovery Education
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content and professional development for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content that supports the implementation of Common Core, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Available in over half of all U.S. schools, community colleges and in 50 countries around the world, Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education is powered by Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK), the number one nonfiction media company in the world. Explore the future of education at www.discoveryeducation.com.