Find the Latest Resources in Education Today
Press Release: Gale Celebrates Upcoming National Library Week with “Libraries are Beautiful!” Photo Contest
Farmington Hills, Mich., March 19, 2014 – In celebration of National Library Week April 13-19, Gale, part of Cengage Learning and a leading publisher of research and education resources for libraries, schools and businesses, is calling all library lovers to show how their library makes their community a more beautiful place—physically or metaphorically. To enter, library staff, students or patrons need only to submit a picture of the nominated library along with a short write-up for any of the 5 award categories. One “Best of Category” winner will be selected per category and will receive $500. One grand prize winner will be awarded “Best in Show” and take home $2,500. Categories include:
• Most Unique Structure/Art Installation: Is there a particular piece of art or sculpture that’s always a topic of conversation at your library? Then please, show and tell.
• Greatest Historical Treasure: Whether it’s your building itself or something within your collections, share its story and historical significance.
• Most Modern Architecture: There is nothing wrong with tradition but show off your twenty-first century look.
• Coolest Internal Space: From a whimsical children’s space to a hip teen area, tech hub or academic retreat, show why students and patrons are flocking to enter and reluctant to leave.
• Best Curb Appeal: Show us what your library looks like from the road and why it’s making people stop in their tracks.
What: Gale’s “Libraries are Beautiful – Inside and Out” National Library Week Photo Contest. Submit a high resolution digital photo and 250 word write-up at http://www.gale.com/BeautifulLibrary. A Gale representative, along with a panel of judges – experts in art, architecture and design – will narrow the submissions to a top 5 per category, after which the nominees will be encouraged to share their image for popular vote. Popular vote will select category and overall winners.
Who: All U.S. libraries can be nominated to win. Nominations can be submitted by library staff, friends and users.
When: Submissions will be accepted March 19 – 28. Winners will be announced during National Library Week in April.
Why: Because libraries are beautiful – inside and out! Libraries improve the lives of those who use them. In honor of National Library Week, Gale is committed to helping promote the value of libraries and how libraries help make their communities brighter.
Details: Please visit http://www.gale.com/BeautifulLibrary for complete contest rules.
About Cengage Learning and Gale
Cengage Learning is a leading educational content, software and services company, empowering educators and driving learner engagement through personalized services and course-driven digital solutions that bridge from the library to the classroom. Gale, part of Cengage Learning, serves the world’s information and education needs through its vast and dynamic content pools, which are used by students and consumers in their libraries, schools and on the Internet. It is best known for the accuracy, breadth and convenience of its data, addressing all types of information needs – from homework help to health questions to business profiles – in a variety of formats. For more information, visit www.cengage.com or www.gale.cengage.com.