Find the Latest Resources in Education Today
Press Release: DISCOVERY EDUCATION CELEBRATES EARTH DAY WITH DYNAMIC DIGITAL CONTENT FOSTERING ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS
— Compelling Digital Media Resources Inspire Students’ Curiosity in Science and Encourage Appreciation for the Environment —
Silver Spring, Md. (April 8, 2014) – Discovery Education, the leading provider of digital content and professional development for K-12 classrooms, is offering dynamic Earth Day resources to support educators in teaching students about environmental conservation, sustainability and other critical science topics.
Discovery Education has created a special Earth Day collection of resources available through Discovery Education Streaming and Streaming Plus to empower educators as they engage students in a dialogue about the annual event on April 22. This collection includes a robust selection of videos, images and articles on topics such as the history of Earth Day and the conservation movement, to help students learn the importance of protecting the world around them.
Also available are two exclusive, award-winning Discovery Channel series, PLANET EARTH, which presents an unprecedented look at Earth’s creatures from biological and ecological perspectives, as well as LIFE, the landmark natural history series from Discovery Channel and the BBC which reveals the most fascinating behaviors that living things have devised in order to thrive.
Additional Earth-focused digital content available to educators through Streaming and Streaming Plus, as well as the Discovery Education Science Techbook™ includes:
• Sid the Science Kid: The Dirt on Dirt – In an Earth Day-themed episode, Sid wants to know what makes dirt so dirty. For grades K-2.
• Maya and Miguel: Every Day is Earth Day – For a school Earth Day project, the kids decide to clean up an old lot and plant a community garden. For Grades K-5.
• Holiday Facts and Fun: Earth Day – This video tells the story behind Earth Day, and illustrates the importance of establishing a healthful environment on the land, in the air, and in the waters of our planet. For Grades K-5. The Magic School Bus: In The Rainforest- In this classroom classic, The Magic School Bus kids investigate rainforest ecology. For grades 3-5.
• How Earth Made Us: Human Planet – This BBC program profiles the story of human impact on the natural environment, and travels around the world to evaluate how human processes control the planet’s geological cycles. For grades 6-12.
Discovery Education has also partnered with several like-minded organizations to further support educators with free, interactive resources focused on environmental education, including:
• The Siemens We Can Change the World Challenge, in partnership with the Siemens Foundation, provides K-12 students with the tools and inspiration to improve their schools, communities and world through project-based learning. Classroom resources available include virtual labs, reading passages, environmental quizzes and lesson plans focused on environmental sustainability.
• From the Ground Up: The Science of Soil, recently launched by Discovery Education and the Nutrients for Life Foundation, is an online portal offering dynamic lesson plans and bilingual family activities for middle school students, highlighting the importance of soil, its nutrients and the science behind creating sustainable, global agricultural practices.
• Available for K-12 teachers, students and parents, Discovery Education and 3M’s website Science of Everyday Life provides classroom curriculum, interactive labs, career profiles and family resources to introduce students to sustainability and environmental responsibility.
“Discovery Education’s compelling multimedia content allows students to learn about our environment in ways that are simply not possible through the use of traditional text,” said Mark Case, a teacher at Southern Guilford High School in North Carolina’s Guilford County Schools. “I am looking forward to using these resources to create engaging classroom experiences that will instill environmental awareness in my students and encourage their appreciation of the natural world.”
Discovery Education Streaming and Discovery Education Streaming Plus are compelling, cross-curricular digital media services for grades K-12 that address multiple learning styles, support the Common Core State Standards, and inspire students to explore their world. Available in more than half of all of U.S. schools, these services offer teachers and students a comprehensive digital library of standards-aligned resources including videos, encyclopedia articles, audio files, songs, high-quality images, and more.
“Earth Day offers a valuable opportunity for educators to challenge students to think critically about global environmental issues,” said Kelli Campbell, senior vice president, Discovery Education. “We are thrilled to support educators by providing dynamic multimedia resources that can be used to inspire environmental awareness and encourage students to become stewards of our planet.”
For more information on Discovery Education Streaming and other Discovery Education services and initiatives, visit www.discoveryeducation.com.
About Discovery Education
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content and professional development for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content that supports the implementation of Common Core, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Available in over half of all U.S. schools and primary schools in England, community colleges and in 50 countries around the world, Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education is powered by Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK), the number one nonfiction media company in the world. Explore the future of education at www.discoveryeducation.com.