Find the Latest Resources in Education Today
Press Release: Mentoring Minds Honors 16 Educators as Finalists in “Real Classrooms. Real Results.” Contest
Vote on Facebook Today to Determine the Winners in Competition Celebrating Success in Building Students’ Critical Thinking Skills
CHICAGO– April 28, 2014 – Mentoring Minds announced today the finalists in the 2014 “Real Classrooms. Real Results.” contest celebrating the creative ways schools and districts are integrating critical thinking into teaching and learning. Sixteen K-12 principals, administrators and teachers from around the nation will move on to the final round of the online competition.
“At Mentoring Minds, we equip teachers with tools that develop critical thinking skills so that students graduate ready to tackle complex real-world problems,” said CEO Robert Bush. “These finalists inspire us and we are thrilled to share their ideas for teaching critical thinking through this contest.”
In the next round of the competition, the finalists must submit a short video that best captures critical thinking in the classroom, on campus or around the district. The public can visit the
Mentoring Minds Facebook page to review the finalists’ entries and vote for their favorites. The finalists are:
• Longfellow Elementary, DeeDee Owens Baker, Santa Fe, Texas
• Resaca Middle School, Maggie Bolado, Brownsville, Texas
• Fort Bend ISD, Stephen F. Austin High School, Bob Chreste, Houston
• Clearview Middle School, Kara Damminger, Mullica Hill, N.J.
• Providence Public Schools, Doris De Los Santos, Providence, R.I.
• Victoria Heights School, Denise Engberg, Burnsville, Minn.
• Vista Academy of Tyler, Kevin Garcia, Tyler, Texas
• P.S. #316, Rhonda Gilbert, New York City
• Trial Elementary, Maricela Guerra, Brownsville, Texas
• Malone Middle School, Jennifer Hesseltine, Malone, N.Y.
• Notre Dame Elementary, Amanda Jones, Portsmouth, Ohio
• Dixie Elementary, Kinsler Kervin, Tyler, Texas
• Beth Lyon, Middleton Township School District, Spotswood, N.J.
• Wabasso School District, Tara Morin, Wabasso, Minn.
• Appomattox Regional Governor’s School, Megan Padden, Petersburg, Va.
• Stars of Israel Academy, Rabbi Schwartzberg, Brooklyn
The finalist whose video entry receives the most Facebook votes by May 9, 2014 is the grand prize winner and will receive a $10,000 prize to be used at his or her discretion. Additional prizes of $3,000 and $1,500 will be given to the first and second runner-ups, respectively. Each of the remaining finalists will receive a $250 gift card.
The grand prize winner will be announced on May 12, 2014.
For more information, visit RealClassroomsRealResults.com.
About Mentoring Minds
Founded more than a decade ago, Mentoring Minds, the Critical Thinking for Life Company, develops affordable, effective learning tools that give students the skills to succeed, not just in the classroom, but in life. Experienced educators create K-12 print and online resources that integrate best practices for instruction, assessment, and learning for students across the nation. For more information about Mentoring Minds and its educational resources, call 800-585-5258 or visit mentoringminds.com.
For more information, press only: Shaun Wiley, L. Wolfe Communications, 847-644-0237, firstname.lastname@example.org.