The authors outline five elements of what they consider an effective technology plan:
1. The use of technology should be propelled by instructional enhancements and management productivity.
2. Long-range financial planning. Funds should be mapped out for many years.
3. Coordination of activities. All aspects of the technology planincluding instructional use, infrastructure, staff development, support, etc.should be coordinated.
4. Make continual upgrades to all equipment and software, including workstations, network, and server.
5. District-wide policies should be in place to direct all technology acquisitions, uses, and assessments.