Here are five CD-ROM software packages that use “smart technology” and 3-dimensional imaging for enriched project-based learning:
1. 3D Castle Creator by Crayola and IBM. Available for Windows, 3D castle creator lets students design their own medieval castle while also learning about how life was in those times. Features rotating views from all perspectives and virtual tour capabilities. Priced at $19.95 per copy, with site licenses and lab packs available. Recommended by the publisher for grades 2-6.
2. KidsCulture by Pierian Spring Software. Available for Windows or Macintosh, KidsCulture allows students to visit eight regions of the world while learning about their cultures. Students color, print, and construct dioramas or 3-D objects with an accompanying storybook for each of the eight cultures. School version is priced at $65, which includes a teachers guide. Lab packs and site licenses also are available. Recommended by the publisher for grades K-5.
3. KidsCulture: The Great Explorers by Perian Spring Software. Available for Windows or Macintosh, The Great Explorers allows students to follow the adventures of six famous explorers, spanning from prehistoric times to the Space Age. Students print and construct a diorama for each of the six explorers. Priced at $45 per copy, with no school version available. Recommended by publisher for grades K-5.
4. MaskWorld by Visions. Available for Windows or Macintosh, MaskWorld introduces students to 24 stories from around the world, then lets students print and construct masks representing each story. Priced at $49.95 per copy, with site licenses and lab packs available. Recommended by publisher for grades 3 and up.
5. Print Artist Craft Factory by Knowledge Adventure. Available for Windows, Print Artist Craft Factory provides students with 22 ready-made or design-your-own projects. Students can use a large graphics library to create an entire 3-D town. Priced at $29.95 per copy. Recommended by publisher for grades K and up.