The editors compiled 39 tips on how to encourage girls to become active participants in technology classes. Here are some of the highlights:
1. Let girls show their expertise by teaching less-skilled peers;
2. Create a girls-only computer club;
3. Find women in the community in technical fields who will visit your classroom and perhaps mentor some children;
4. Make sure that your software includes a variety of programs that appeal to different types of learners, but don’t rely on “just for girls” software (which may be full of stereotyping); and
5. Show girls how they can use the computer to communicate with others, as it’s well-known that girls seek communications opportunities (including group projects).