Silver Spring, MD (January 18, 2007) – Discovery Education today launched Discovery Education Science Connection, a comprehensive supplemental multimedia toolkit that provides dynamic, high-quality content in a flexible online format. The rollout brings middle school science curricula to life to engage today´s technology-savvy students in learning. With No Child Left Behind requiring all states to test students in science at least once each year in grades 3-5,
6-9 and 10-12 starting in the 2007-2008 school year, Science Connection is designed to help educators prepare students for high-stakes assessments with content that is directly tailored to state standards and allows for inquiry-based and explorative approaches to learning.
Designed specifically for middle-school educators, Science Connection is organized into three areas – Physical Science, Life Science and Earth and Space Science – for easy integration into science curricula. Through Science Connection, students in today´s classrooms can access the resources that encourage exploration, stimulate critical thinking and deepen understanding.
– Interactive video with two-way interaction that invites students to click on "hotspots" during a selected video clip to gain additional information and to reinforce a learning point.
– Open-ended "Science Sleuths" mysteries in which students can solve using clues and resources such as interviews, photos, articles and graphics.
– Virtual labs that allow students to explore inquiry and science process skills using topics such as noise pollution and conditions for plant growth in real-world contexts.
– Integrated science simulations from Discovery Education´s award-winning Discovery School Science CD-ROM Collection that allow students to explore situations from a variety of science perspectives.
– Unparalleled collection of video programs created exclusively for Science Connection.
– Highly visual and dynamic reading passages from Discovery Education´s award-winning Discovery School Science Collection book series that include science timelines and interviews with leading scientists.
– Formative assessment tools developed by Discovery Education ThinkLink Assessment to help educators identify each student´s baseline understanding, followed by recommendations from the assessment to individualize instruction to meet student learning needs.
"We´re excited to offer Discovery Education Science Connection to educators as a way to help them increase students´ knowledge of key science concepts and processes," said Dale Fulton, senior vice president of Curricular Development for Discovery Education. "The service gives educators the multimedia tools to connect with students´ individual learning styles, encouraging them to explore and develop their science skills through interactive, inquiry-based content and formative assessment."
Discovery Education Science Connection is available for a free 30-day trial. To sign up for the free trial or to learn more about Science Connection, visit www.discoveryscienceconnection.com or call 800-323-9084. To find out about any of Discovery Education´s other products and services, please visit www.discoveryeducation.com or call 800-323-9084.
About Discovery Education
Discovery Education is a division of Discovery Communications, the leading global real-world and knowledge-based media company. The leader in digital video-based learning, Discovery Education produces and distributes high-quality digital video content in easy-to-use formats, in all core-curricular subject areas. Discovery Education is committed to creating scientifically proven, standards-based digital resources for teachers, students, and parents that make a positive impact on student learning. Through strategic partnerships with public television stations across the country, its public service initiatives, products, and joint business ventures, Discovery Education helps educators around the world harness the power of broadband and media to connect their students to a world of learning. For more information, visit www.discoveryeducation.com.