ARLINGTON, Va. (April 18, 2007)–PBS TeacherLine was recognized by industry competitors, experts and journalists as an exceptional instructional offering at the 22nd Annual CODiE awards gala in San Francisco yesterday. Since PBS TeacherLine was launched nationwide in mid-2004, more than 20,000 educators have completed the online professional development courses.

PBS TeacherLine received a 2007 CODiE Award from the Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) for Best Online Instruction Solution. This award category honors the most outstanding educational Web site designed to provide instructional support for preK-12 students, teachers and administrators. The online teacher professional development offering was also a finalist in the Best Professional Development Solution.

Established in 1986 by SIIA, the CODiE Awards program remains the standard bearer for celebrating outstanding achievement and vision in the software, digital content and education technology industries. Award nominees are judged by journalists and industry peers and voted on by association members.

PBS TeacherLine has quickly become the premier provider of affordable, high-quality online professional development for K-12 teachers through its unique combination of facilitated, online courses, a supportive learning environment and exemplary Internet-based resources. PBS TeacherLine is dedicated to improving teacher quality and to increasing student achievement. More than 100 courses in math, science, reading, instructional strategies and instructional technology are offered. The courses are content-rich and incorporate high-quality video-including content from national PBS programming-leading articles, interactive lessons and online facilitated discussions with peers that help translate learning into practice. Teachers can earn continuing education units, professional development points or graduate credits while learning practical, research-based instructional strategies to improve student learning.
Recently, the Florida Department of Education, Nevada Commission on Educational Technology and the Arkansas Department of Education selected PBS TeacherLine to help them meet their respective statewide professional development initiatives. The goals include increasing the number of teachers that meet state and federal "highly qualified" teacher requirements, raising student test scores, and building a cadre of master digital educators who can train their peers in best practices for classroom technology integration.

For more information about PBS TeacherLine, visit www.pbs.org/teacherline.

About PBS TeacherLine

PBS TeacherLine is committed to helping teachers acquire the skills they need to prepare students for a successful future. PBS TeacherLine provides high-quality, affordable professional development through facilitated, online courses, collaborative learning communities, and exemplary Internet-based resources. Currently, more than 90 courses across multiple subject areas are offered. Teachers can earn continuing education units, professional development points and graduate credits for course completion. The courses have been developed in conjunction with leading education organizations, including Mid-Continent Research for Education and Learning (McREL), Education Development Center (EDC), Concord Consortium, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, and International Society for Technology Education. Created in 2000, PBS TeacherLine is funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education for $6,046,811. This represents approximately 85 percent of the total program funding. The remaining 15 percent is funded through in-kind support from PBS and through program income. For more information, visit www.pbs.org/teacherline.

About PBS

PBS is a media enterprise that serves 355 public noncommercial television stations and reaches more than 75 million people each week through on-air and online content. Bringing diverse viewpoints to television and the Internet, PBS provides high-quality documentary and dramatic entertainment, and consistently dominates the most prestigious award competitions. PBS is a leading provider of educational materials for K-12 teachers, and offers a broad array of other educational services. PBS´ premier kids´ TV programming and Web site, PBS KIDS Online (www.pbskids.org), continue to be parents´ and teachers´ most trusted learning environments for children. More information about PBS is available at www.pbs.org one of the leading dot-org Web sites on the Internet.

About the Author:

eSchool News