Alexandria, VA (X/X/2011)—ASCD, the global leader in providing programs, products, and services that empower educators to support the success of each learner, invites teachers and education leaders from around the globe to attend the Differentiated Instruction Institutes on August 18–19, 2011, in Vancouver, British Columbia.
The intensive, two-day Differentiated Instruction Institutes offer valuable professional development opportunities for teachers, teacher leaders, and administrators. Presenting powerful new tactics and strategies, these compelling professional development events provide participants with knowledge and resources they can immediately integrate into any classroom, school, or school district.
The hands-on institute for classroom teachers empowers attendees to reach individual students within a diverse population through rigorous curricula. This workshop offers participants:
• Effective lesson plans and activities in all content areas and grades.
• Unique tools to help diagnose their own learning profile, which can then also be used to analyze students’ learning profiles.
• Powerful instruction strategies for addressing student differences through exacting instruction.
The institute for leaders supports administrators and classroom leaders in developing the knowledge, understanding, and skills needed to implement high-quality differentiated instruction initiatives across a school or school system. When attendees complete the institute, they will be able to:
• Address common teacher, student, and parent questions about differentiation.
• Design and articulate a vision of differentiated instruction for their school or district.
• Identify their own—and their district’s or school’s—strengths in preparing for a differentiation initiative, and develop an action plan to address areas of need.
• Analyze and critique sample differentiated activities for use in staff development.
• Design and carry out appropriate staff development activities for differentiation.
The upcoming Institute is only one part of ASCD’s broader commitment to supporting differentiated instruction implementations.
“Differentiated instruction is a critical approach to improving teaching and learning,” said ASCD Chief Program Development Officer Judy Zimny. “In addition to presenting these institutes, ASCD offers a variety of professional development products designed to support the implementation of differentiated instruction initiatives. Our differentiated instruction PD Online® courses and PD In Focus® resources enable states, districts, and schools to personalize and monitor professional development. One of the great strengths of these programs is their flexibility; they can be used by educators individually or in groups when and where professional development is most convenient and effective.”
PD Online offers five courses on differentiated instruction, ranging from an introductory course to more advanced courses on planning and implementing differentiated instruction initiatives. PD In Focus offers a dedicated differentiated instruction channel; dozens of unedited, full-length video programs; PDF-based activities; and web resources.
Learn more about the Differentiated Instruction Institutes at the ASCD institutes page. For more information about ASCD’s PD Online and PD In Focus products or to learn about ASCD membership, visit www.ascd.org.
• Katie Test, communications specialist, 1-703-575-5608, or by e-mail.
ASCD is the global leader in developing and delivering innovative programs, products, and services that empower educators to support the success of each learner. Comprising 160,000 members—superintendents, principals, teachers, professors, and advocates from more than 140 countries—the ASCD community also includes 58 affiliate organizations. The nonprofit’s diverse, nonpartisan membership is its greatest strength, projecting a powerful, unified voice to decision makers around the world. To learn more about how ASCD supports educators as they learn, teach, and lead, visit www.ascd.org.