FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Epson America, Inc.
Epson Expands Ultra-Short Throw Projector Portfolio Delivering Increased Brightness and Connectivity to K-12 Classrooms
Epson PowerLite 470, 475W, 480, and 485W Deliver Digital Connectivity and New Lower Ceiling Height Installation Possibilities
ORLANDO, Fla. (FETC, Booth #2317) – Jan. 23, 2012 – Epson, the number-one selling projector brand worldwide1, today introduced the Epson® PowerLite® 470, 475W, 480, and 485W – four bright, affordable and easy-to-install ultra-short throw projectors designed for the K-12 classroom. These projectors expand Epson’s ultra short-throw projector line, delivering comprehensive connectivity, including HDMI, and lower height requirements for mounting in classrooms with low ceilings. Ideal for use with standard or interactive whiteboards, these models provide minimal shadow interference and glare and include wall mount hardware for quick, easy and inexpensive installation. In addition, replacement lamps cost only $79*, providing increased savings and lowering overall cost of ownership.
“Today’s classrooms need bright images to capture active minds, and our goal is to allow teachers to focus on their students and lessons, rather than their classroom equipment,” said Heather Litus Johnston, product manager, K-12 Education Marketing, Epson America, Inc. “These new ultra-short throw projectors deliver minimal shadows and no glare in teacher’s eyes, as well as vibrant images and crisp text and lines on dry erase or interactive whiteboards.”
The PowerLite 470 ($1,399*), 475W ($1,499*), 480 ($1,499*), and 485W ($1,599*) are ideal projector solutions for teachers in need of a wall mounted short throw projector for use with their standard dry erase or interactive whiteboard. The PowerLite 470 and 475W deliver 2,600 lumens color and white light output2, the PowerLite 480 delivers 3,000 lumens color and white light output and the PowerLite 485W delivers 3,100 lumens color and white light output. The PowerLite 470 and 480 offer XGA resolution and can project 4:3 content up to 93-inches diagonal, while the PowerLite 475W and 485W deliver WXGA resolution for widescreen content and can project a 16:10 image up to 100-inches diagonal.
All four models offer comprehensive connectivity features ideal for current and future classrooms, including HDMI digital connectivity for high-quality video and audio and RJ-45 or optional wireless (via 802.11 b//g/n module $99* or access point) network connectivity for presenting audio and video for lessons over a school’s network, monitoring and controlling projectors remotely, virtual remote control via projector IP address, and broadcasting messages to an entire school. The projectors also offer USB Plug ‘n Play for instantly projecting video with audio, while also allowing control of the presentation via remote control from a PC or Mac® computer via a single USB connection.
Offering increased flexibility, Epson’s new ultra short throw models can be mounted approximately eight inches away from the wall to accommodate smaller classrooms or meeting rooms, and can easily be used with a standard or interactive whiteboard, projection screen or a simple white wall.
More about the PowerLite 470, 475W, 480, and 485W
Epson’s new ultra-short throw projectors deliver several convenient and advanced features for educators, including:
– Increased Communication: Powerful internal 16-watt speaker fills the classroom with sound and saves on equipment costs; built-in closed captioning decoder makes presentations accessible to viewers with hearing impairments at no added cost and helps meet ADA section 508 compliance; a convenient microphone input is also included for voice amplification through the projector’s built-in speakers
– Extended Lamp Life: The lamp life can last up to 4,000 hours3 in economy mode, helping to maximize presentation time; replacement lamps cost $79*, providing a lower overall total cost of ownership
– Setup Flexibility: +5 degree horizontal and vertical keystone correction provides easy and convenient setup in virtually any classroom setting, allowing the projector to be wall mounted where it may not be centered with the screen and still get a standard formatted image; Quick Corner® allows the four corners of an image to be moved independently for a perfectly rectangular image
– Built-in Teaching Aids: Four pre-set line and graph pattern templates aid in instruction, saving valuable class time by eliminating the need for teachers to draw lines and grids on the board; timer can be set to power off projector if no signal is received, saving energy and lamp life
– Convenient Control: Direct Power On and Off allows for an installed projector to be powered on and off with a flip of a wall switch; Instant On/Off® enables presenters to avoid delays when starting and finishing presentations and be up and running in only eight seconds; A/V Mute instantly turns off the sound and images to create a quick pause in the presentation, conserving lamp life and energy and helping to save costs
– USB Plug ‘n Play Instant Setup: Instantly projects images from a Windows® PC or Mac via a USB connection, allowing for easier set up and eliminating the hassle of dealing with bulky VGA cables and toggling between computer keys
– Expanded Connectivity: PC-Free slideshows offer convenient connectivity with USB memory devices for easily viewing and sharing pictures without a computer; projectors can also be directly connected to the Epson DC-06 document camera for added versatility; and wireless functionality is available via an optional wireless module
– 3LCD Technology: Features the latest 3LCD, 3-chip technology to deliver amazing, true-to-life color and detail for powerful presentations; 3LCD technology provides an energy-efficient light engine which efficiently uses available lamp light to create stunning images; in contrast to 1-chip DLP technology, 3LCD requires, on average, 25 percent less electricity per lumen of brightness4
Epson also offers the Brighter Futures® program, a unique sales and support initiative available specifically for schools. Designed to help educators select and implement the best products for their classrooms while making the most of their budgets, Brighter Futures offers special pricing, extended Epson limited warranty coverage for three years, dedicated education account managers, and toll-free technical support for all Epson projectors.
Availability and Support
The Epson PowerLite 470, 475W, 480, and 485W will be available in February 2012 through national resellers, pro audio/visual dealers, mail order, and distribution. Epson’s PowerLite projectors come with a two-year limited warranty (three years for Brighter Futures customers) that includes two elite technical support services – Epson PrivateLine® phone support with direct access to an expedited support telephone line via a phone card included with the product, and a Road Service projector replacement program that includes projector exchange in one business day with paid shipping. For additional information, visit www.epson.com/projectors.
Epson is a global imaging and innovation leader dedicated to exceeding the vision of customers worldwide through its compact, energy-saving, high-precision technologies, with a product line-up ranging from printers and 3LCD projectors for enterprise and the home, to sensors and other microdevices. Led by the Japan-based Seiko Epson Corporation, the Epson Group comprises more than 78,000 employees in 99 companies around the world, and is proud of its ongoing contributions to the global environment and the communities in which it operates. To learn more about Epson, please visit: http://global.epson.com.
You may also connect with Epson America on Facebook (http://facebook.com/EpsonAmerica), Twitter (http://twitter.com/EpsonAmerica and http://twitter.com/EpsonEducation) and YouTube (http://youtube.com/EpsonTV).
# # #
* Estimated street price
1 Based upon Q3 2011 worldwide front projection market share estimates from Pacific Media Associates.
2 White and color light output will vary depending on mode selected. White light output measured using ISO 21118 standard.
3 Lamp life will vary depending upon mode selected, environmental conditions and usage. Lamp Brightness decreases over time.
4 Data source: ProjectorCentral.com Jan. 2011. Average of 1,038 shipping models for which the manufacturers provided lumens and total power data, all resolutions and brightness levels. Energy efficiency was measured as wattage per lumen. It was measured for both 3LCD and 1-chip projectors in each of five brightness segments. 3LCD projectors averaged less required electricity per lumen in each of the five segments.
Note: Epson, Quick Corner and Instant Off are registered trademarks and Epson Exceed Your Vision is a registered logomark of Seiko Epson Corporation. PowerLite, Brighter Futures and PrivateLine are registered trademarks of Epson America, Inc. All other product brand names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective companies. Epson disclaims any and all rights in these marks.