Lawmakers are pushing for the state to offer college tuition assistance to citizens — even if their parents are living in the U.S. without permission, the Associated Press reports. A bill was introduced in both chambers of the state Legislature after a U.S.-born high school student sued the state last year claiming she had been denied tuition assistance because her mother is an illegal immigrant. Assemblywoman Marlene Caride, a Democrat from West New York, announced Friday that she had introduced a bill last month to rectify that.

"College is terribly expensive," Caride said. "We should be looking for ways to make...

Subscribe to Read More

Are You an Educator?

Get Free online access to all our news and resources

  • About the Author:

    staff and wire services reports