Leading health and physical education organizations team-up to provide a healthy school makeover worth $45,000 in support of National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month
San Diego, CA, September 5, 2012 — Video entries are now being accepted for the nationwide Healthy School Makeover Contest, with the winner receiving an unprecedented grand prize worth $45,000 in educational materials, training, and equipment. Individuals can nominate a school by submitting a short video explaining why their school needs a healthy school makeover and how they’ll use the Grand Prize award to improve the health of their students. The contest, managed by SPARK™, provider of the world’s most-researched and field-tested physical education program and a division of School Specialty, features products and services from leading organizations including Sportime, AAHPERD/NASPE, Healthy Kids Challenge, Skillastics, Healthy Lifestyle Choices, GenMove, The First Tee, Polar, and the ANNIKA Foundation.
Entrants can post videos on www.healthyschoolmakeover.com, and all entries must be received by October 31, 2012. The public will vote on the videos from November 1, 2012 to November 14, 2012 to determine the finalists. A panel of judges will then determine the winner from the finalists, and Hall of Fame golfer Annika Sorenstam will present the grand prize to the winning school.
“Budget cuts continue to negatively impact health and physical education programs. Many schools are not receiving the quality services they need and their students deserve. The Healthy School Makeover Contest will transform one location into a model healthy school, and we hope it will ‘SPARK’ countless others to follow suit,” said Paul Rosengard, Executive Director at SPARK. “We are calling on educators and students to motivate people to vote by sharing their stories about the importance of healthy living and how their school can be a positive example for others.”
The contest grand prize includes:
• SPARK: SPARK Curriculum and Training package, valued at over $10,000
• Sportime: Equipment package aligned with SPARK program, valued at up to $9,000
• Healthy Kids Challenge: “Balance My Day” nutrition curriculum package and training, valued at $2,400
• AAHPERD/NASPE: Customized Lets Move in School training package valued at $4,500
• Skillastics: Two Let’s Move in School Skillastics packages and training, valued at over $2,000
• Healthy Lifestyle Choices: HLC Curriculum and Training package, valued at $5,500
• GenMove: Equipment, programming and training package valued at $3,300
• The First Tee: The First Tee National School Program curriculum, training and equipment, valued at over $3,200
• Polar: Polar Active classroom pack, valued at $3,300
• ANNIKA Foundation: Annika Sorenstam to present grand prize to winner
To find more information about the contest, as well as a list of rules, visit www.healthyschoolmakeover.com.
SPARK is a collection of research-based Physical Education, After School, Early Childhood, and Coordinated School Health programs for educators serving Pre-K through 12th grade students. Since 1989, SPARK has provided educational resources, teacher training, and consultation to over 100,000 teachers and youth leaders, representing many thousands of schools, organizations, and agencies worldwide. For more information on SPARK, visit www.sparkpe.org or email spark(at)sparkpe(dot)org or call 1-800-SPARK-PE.
About School Specialty
School Specialty (NASDAQ: SCHS) is a leading education company that provides innovative and proprietary products, programs and services to help educators engage and inspire students of all ages and abilities to learn. The company designs, develops, and provides PreK-12 educators with the latest and very best curriculum, supplemental learning resources, and school supplies. For more information about School Specialty, visit www.schoolspecialty.com.
SPARK Marketing Director
Public Relations for SPARK
Public Relations for SPARK