Student engagement emerged as a large issue in the survey, with 92 percent of teachers and 89 percent of parents saying that helping students become more engaged and active participants in their own learning is a critical or very important objective.
- 91 percent of teachers and 85 percent of parents said making closer connections between the classroom and the real world is critical.
- 86 percent of teachers and 83 percent of parents responded that exposing students to different perspectives or ways of thinking about topics is critical.
- 86 percent of teachers and 87 percent of parents said students should have access to more hands-on learning opportunities.
A majority of both teacher and parent respondents said technology also can…
- Offer real-time feedback on student performance.
- Help tailor individual/flexible learning to each student.
- Offer more hands-on learning opportunities.
- Offer closer connections between the classroom and the real world.
- Make students more active and engaged.
- Extend learning opportunities beyond school hours.
Low-income parents are even more likely to place importance on technology’s potential to positively impact the various learning goals identified in the survey.
The majority of teacher respondents said they need more training to effectively use technology: 47 percent said they receive a fair amount of training but need some more, and 35 percent said they receive a little training and need a lot more. Five percent said they receive no training, and just 13 percent said they receive all the training they need.
The poll release serves as a prelude to the LEAD Symposium on Technology in Education, a day-long gathering of education, technology, and policy leaders to discuss the current barriers and opportunities involved in the adoption of technology in K-12 education. The event, which will take place on Sept. 11 at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, will conclude with a discussion with U.S. Department of Education Secretary Arne Duncan and Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski.
- How many teachers are effective reading instructors? - April 7, 2021
- 10 online music education tools - April 2, 2021
- 7 predictions about fall back-to-school with COVID - April 1, 2021