Last year we presented “New: 10 of the best Apple apps for education in 2012,” which highlighted some of the best apps for iPhones and iPods. However, with new upgrades in touch technology, and the emphasis on Common Core State Standards and school reform in general, we’ve come up with a new list of the best Apple- and Android-based education apps for 2013.
This year’s list includes some of the most highly rated apps, both by educators and by parents, and features a range that spans from interactive iBooks to current images of the universe, and from free video software to award-winning STEM curricula.
For every app we’ve listed, we’ve included a brief description, device compatibility, suggested use, features, price, and a link to a more in-depth summary with an option to purchase on iTunes or Google Play.
Don’t see an app you love on this list? Be sure to let us know—or leave a suggestion in the comment section.
(Apps are listed in alphabetical order.)
What is it? Turns photos into professional-quality videos, complete with music and text. Choose photos, video clips, music, and video style. Users can easily share their creations.
Best for: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 5.0 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5; Requires Android 2.2 and up.
- Multiple video styles, large music library and the ability to add text to your video.
- Preview and edit your video before producing it.
- View videos within the app and on Animoto’s site.
- Easily share your videos via email, text, Facebook and Twitter or save to your Camera Roll.
- Upgrade to unlimited full length videos within the app.
Name: HMH FUSE Algebra 1
What is it? HMH Fuse Algebra 1 Common Core Edition gives every student a personalized learning experience using video tutorials, MathMotion step-by-step examples, homework help, quizzes, tips, hints, and many other integrated features to teach, review, and assess all concepts. Winner of the “Distinguished Achievement” Award in the category of Mobile Device Application honoring “outstanding resources for teaching and learning” presented by the Association of Educational Publishers.
Best for: Compatible with iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Also compatible with Android devices.
- The ability for students to show their scratch pad work for individual questions on the assessments, student response system (clickers), and Graph It! examples
- An all-in-one app with built-in tools including Algebra Tiles, Linear Explorer, Quadratic Explorer, a graphing calculator, text and audio note-taking, scratchpad, and a student response system for instant learner feedback.
- Teachers can access all assessment results in an on-line Teacher Resource Center and prescribe remediation or intervention as needed.
[Android] May soon be available. Keep checking the HMH FUSE website: http://www.hmhco.com/shop/education-curriculum/math/secondary-mathematics/hmh-fuse/android#sthash.Pii6OFSH.dpbs
- Edthena Names Winners of the 2021 Teacher Leader Impact Awards - May 6, 2021
- Edsby K-12 LMS incorporates Microsoft Teams and Zoom real-time video, chat and whiteboarding - May 6, 2021
- Reading Plus Insight Assessment Approved As Universal Screener For Hawaii Department of Education Longitudinal Data System - May 6, 2021