With the cost of higher education skyrocketing and two-thirds of today’s students unprepared academically for college, SOPHIA.org has launched a new program called “Operation College Success,” offering free tools to help address the issue of college readiness and affordability.
SOPHIA, an online education platform that provides 33,000 free academic tutorials on a variety of subjects, announced the new program with Bill Nye the Science Guy during a May 13 event on Capitol Hill.
With Operation College Success, SOPHIA has expanded its offerings to include free college readiness resources that include…
• ACT Math Test Prep, featuring sample tests as well as test-taking tips;
• College Prep Pathways, which are refresher courses in algebra, statistics, and biology. Each course is presented via short-form tutorials and features SOPHIA’s Many Ways learning model, which allows students to choose from multiple teachers and instructional styles; and
• College Success Skills, which offer tips and resources to help students navigate the college experience successfully. Resources are available in each of the following areas: setting goals; financing college; and classroom strategies on note taking, test taking, and preparing for an online learning environment.
In addition, SOPHIA now offers an affordable path to a college degree with SOPHIA Pathways for College Credit—online courses for college credit priced at $329 per course. These self-paced courses offer transferable college credit at a significant savings over traditional college classes.
The American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT) has evaluated and recommended college credit for five of SOPHIA’s online courses: College Algebra, Human Biology, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Sociology, and Introduction to Statistics. Four more courses are under consideration for an ACE CREDIT recommendation, SOPHIA says.
- Discovery Education Presents Three New Virtual Field Trips - April 8, 2021
- Districts Leverage $300,000 Matching Grant Program to Improve Flexible Learning and Address Social Justice - April 8, 2021
- GoGuardian Offers Student Mental Health Service for Free as Schools Face Growing Mental Health Concerns - April 6, 2021