Nichole Cappitelli, Sprint
Chaz Abbott, LG Electronics USA
LG Optimus F3 from Sprint Boasts Advanced Accessibility
and Unmatched Affordability
First U.S. smartphone to launch with Google TalkBack preloaded allowing visually impaired to receive voice prompts right out of the box
ARLINGTON, Va., – June 6, 2013 – LG Electronics and Sprint today announced the upcoming availability of LG Optimus F3™ smartphone offering features designed to make the device more accessible for the blind and people with disabilities. LG Optimus F3 offers access to Sprint 4G LTE1, a 1.2 GHz dual-core processor, a long-lasting 2,460 mAh battery, a vivid IPS display and premium features that allow customers to connect and share with ease.
At just $29.99 (excluding taxes) with a new line or eligible upgrade, two-year service agreement and $50 mail-in rebate via reward card1, this device will be the lowest priced 4G LTE smartphone from Sprint at launch. Available in two colors – silver and purple – LG Optimus F3 can be purchased beginning June 14 at www.sprint.com or by calling 1-800-SPRINT1. It will be available in all Sprint retail channels later this summer.
LG Optimus F3 is the first phone to come preloaded with Google TalkBack accessible from the moment the customer takes the phone out of the box and powers it on. Talkback is an Accessibility Service that helps blind and vision-impaired users interact with their devices more easily. This device has the service functionality at activation, allowing blind and low-vision users to benefit from the guidance of the TalkBack feature to go through activation and all related tasks.
“Sprint is committed to providing technology that meets the needs of all of our customers,” said Dan Hesse, CEO of Sprint, who announced the device today at the M-Enabling Summit in Arlington, Va. “The LG Optimus F3 offers a robust list of features for any customer, and it is uniquely empowering for people with disabilities.”
“Combining intelligent features with the user-friendly LG interface, the LG Optimus F3 allows users to easily collaborate and communicate while handling a variety of tasks or enjoying entertainment content,” said Wayne Park, president and CEO of LG Electronics USA. “This device exemplifies LG’s commitment to delivering compelling accessibility features.”
LG Optimus F3 is Sprint ID-enabled, allowing users to download the new Accessible Education ID pack. This ID pack makes it easy for millions of students with print disabilities – individuals who cannot effectively read print because of visual, physical, perceptual, developmental, cognitive or learning disabilities – to access Web-based educational resources on their smartphone. The Accessible Education ID pack is a package of applications and mobile Web services available in a single download.
The Accessible Education ID pack features customized mobile Web services that are designed to eliminate clutter and display only the parts of Web pages of interest to the user. It also provides students who do not have computers or Internet connections at home with mobile-friendly interfaces and Web-based educational resources.
Applications within the Accessible Education ID pack, developed by Apps4Android, include:
• Six applications that simplify access to WebMATH, a free Web site hosted by Discovery Education, that helps students learn how to solve math problems. Solutions to all problems are presented in a real-time, step-by-step, manner.
• KhAndroid: a fully accessible Android application that enables its users to view Khan Academy’s library of more than 2,200 micro lectures via video tutorials. Topics covered include math, history, finance, physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy and economics.
• IDEAL Equation Finder: a speech recognition-based application, designed to take advantage of EqsQuest’s semantic search technology for math and science. Semantic search technology seeks to improve search accuracy by understanding a searcher’s intent and the contextual meaning of terms as they appear in searchable data spaces.
With nearly 90 Sprint ID packs available today, Sprint ID allows consumers, on select Android-powered devices from Sprint, including LG Optimus F3, to download “ID packs” – a bundle of content that delivers a complete mobile experience, including applications, widgets, ringtones and wallpapers in a few simple clicks. Whether they are an environmentalist, sports lover, music enthusiast, fitness fanatic, gamer or an individual with disabilities, Sprint ID makes it easy for customers to personalize their smartphone by allowing them to download ID packs with content to fit their lifestyle.
In addition, the unique LED indicator on the Optimus F3’s home button offers a rainbow of color options that can assist those with hearing impairment such as green for a phone call or red for a text message. Specified colored and patterned light provides charging status and notifications such as alarms, calendar reminders, new messages, missed events and others.
Built with a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera and convenient front-facing camera, LG Optimus F3 is packed with nifty camera features allowing users to enhance special moments and photos. With Beauty Shot, users can snap photos that enhance their friends’ and their own appearances. Cheese Shot lets users take a voice-activated photo by simply saying “cheese” while Panorama Shot helps users to capture the entire scene in a single photo.
Additional features include:
• VuTalk2, allowing users to send handwritten messages, photos or drawings back and forth in real time to visually share ideas and collaborate.
• QSlide 2.0 allows users to overlay up to two application windows on an existing open application, adjusting size and transparency as needed for greater multitasking functionality.
• QuickMemo™ lets users add their own creative commentary to pictures or screenshots with the swipe of a finger then share it via social media, email or SMS.
• QTranslator allows users to translate words and phrases from 44 different languages into 64 native languages.
• Android 4.1.2, Jelly Bean
• Vivid 4-inch IPS display with super strong Corning® Gorilla® Glass 2
• 1080p Full HD Video Capture
• Multilanguage Support with 53 Keyboard Input Languages
• SmartShare – share media wirelessly to DLNA® enabled devices
• Wi-Fi Direct™ File Sharing
• Android Beam to share content via Near Field Communication (NFC) and Bluetooth® technology
• LG Tag+ – preset, individual phone profiles activated using NFC technology tags
• Quiet Mode – specify times to disable notifications for calls and messages
• ULE Platinum Certified – the highest level of environmental performance recognized by sustainable requirements established by UL Environment and Sprint
Sprint now offers 4G LTE service in 88 markets nationwide, including Los Angeles, Charlotte, Boston and Dallas. Many Sprint customers are discovering Sprint 4G LTE in cities that haven’t yet officially been announced, including Washington, D.C., New York and San Francisco. Sprint has announced more than 170 additional markets where LTE will be available in the coming months. For the most current maps, please visit www.sprint.com/4GLTE
To learn more about what Sprint is doing to empower customers with disabilities, please visit www.sprint.com/accessibility.
About LG Electronics USA
LG Electronics USA, Inc., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., is the North American subsidiary of LG Electronics, Inc., a $45 billion global force and technology leader in consumer electronics, home appliances and mobile communications. In the United States, LG Electronics sells a range of stylish and innovative mobile phones, home entertainment products, home appliances, and air conditioning systems and energy solutions, all under LG’s “Life’s Good” marketing theme. LG Electronics is a 2013 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year. For more information, please visit www.lg.com.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 55 million customers at the end of the first quarter of 2013 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The American Customer Satisfaction Index rated Sprint No. 1 among all national carriers in customer satisfaction and most improved, across all 47 industries, during the last four years. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 3 in both its 2011 and 2012 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
1The American Express Prepaid Reward Card (“Card”) provided in connection with this Rebate offer is a prepaid Card that is usable at U.S. merchants that accept American Express Card. Some limitations apply. The Card is not redeemable for cash (except where required by law) and does not provide ATM access. Use of Card constitutes acknowledgement that it is given as a reward and no consideration, value, or money has been paid by the holder to American Express in exchange for this Card. USE OF CARD IS SUBJECT TO THE CARDHOLDER AGREEMENT. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAW, A $3.00 MONTHLY FEE WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST CARD BALANCE, STARTING SIX MONTHS AFTER CARD ISSUANCE, UNLESS FUNDS ARE EARLIER DEPLETED. For BALANCE, customer service and Cardholder Agreement, visit americanexpress.com/sprint or call 1-866-608-3756. Card issued by American Express Prepaid Card Management Corporation.
14G LTE not available everywhere
2 Must initially be established with a contact over a voice call