Enhanced Interactive Curriculum Designed to Engage Students and Propel Academic Achievement
Scottsdale, AZ – July 23, 2013 – Edgenuity, a leading provider of online and blended learning solutions, today announced the release of twelve new courses. These include math and English language arts courses designed to meet the instructional shifts of the Common Core State Standards and science, social studies, and career courses to expand content area and career course options. Available for the fall semester, the new courses promote student engagement and subject mastery by integrating multimedia content and emphasizing analytical problem-solving skills. Additionally, virtually all of Edgenuity’s new courses are tablet compatible for anytime, anywhere learning.
“Our new courses raise the bar significantly when it comes to their level of rigor, interactivity and engagement,” noted Sari Factor, CEO of Edgenuity. “We bring lessons to life through instructional videos, real-world projects and performance tasks, and interactive assignments across the curriculum, ensuring students are college and career ready.”
Key instructional shifts of the Common Core State Standards – mathematical focus, coherence and rigor, as well as increased access to nonfiction, emphasis on textual evidence, and regular practice with complex text – are essential components of the new middle school Mathematics and English Language Arts courses. New courses including U.S. Government, World History, Economics, Physics, Career Explorations, Nursing Assistant, and Pharmacy Technician round out the new offering.
New features designed to support content area knowledge and higher order thinking skills include:
• Primary source documents and videos such as economic discussions from the Federal Reserve, past and current presidential speeches, and oral histories from immigrants who arrived at Ellis Island;
• Real-world activities that allow students to serve as a city planner, nutritionist, and Supreme Court justice;
• Interactive performance tasks like examining the time-height graph of a ride on a Ferris wheel or analyzing the water levels in a river;
• Argumentative and informative writing assignments, including writing blog entries and yearbook pages, developing public service announcements, and crafting commentary on legal documents, essays, political cartoons and other secondary sources;
• Interactive math tools, offering interactive graph building and geometry modules as well as a comprehensive online graphing calculator; and
• Virtual science labs, giving students practice with experiments, simulations, and scientific analysis.
To further engage and support students, the Edgenuity platform integrates digital tools designed to enhance self-directed learning. Students can access the eNotes digital notebook to record information, use the equation editor, and build tables as they work through lessons. They can follow along with lesson Transcripts, which can be translated into 17 languages. Students can strengthen their academic vocabulary with the Glossary, which lists the lesson words and definitions, and enables students to look up the meaning of any word. Additionally, the CloseReader™ encourages active reading of complex texts, with embedded questions, text and audio prompts, highlighters, and contextual definitions of key words.
Edgenuity (formerly E2020, Inc) provides engaging online education solutions that propel success for every student, empower every teacher to deliver more effective instruction, and enable schools and districts to meet their academic goals. Edgenuity delivers a range of Core Curriculum, AP®, Elective, Career and Technical Education (CTE), and Credit Recovery courses aligned to the rigor and high expectations of state, Common Core and iNACOL standards and designed to inspire life-long learning. Fully flexible for use in any blended or online learning model, Edgenuity supports an environment where personalized learning is possible. With 185 semester-long courses and growing, Edgenuity has already driven outcomes for more than one million students in schools and districts across the country. For more information, and to see Edgenuity in action, visit Edgenuity.com.
Sloane & Company