CHANGING SCHOOL CULTURE TO SUPPORT DIGITAL TRANSFORMATIONS FOCUS OF DISCOVERY EDUCATION’S ONE COMMUNITY, FIVE VOICES
— Free weeklong webinar series explores the roles of stakeholders in supporting digital transformations —
Silver Spring, Md. (September 5, 2013) – Discovery Education, the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, is on September 23 kicking off One Community, Five Voices: How Successful Digital Transformations Take Shape, a new free week-long webinar series offering unique perspectives on changing school culture to support digital transformations.
Each of the One Community, Five Voices half hour presentations will offer perspectives from critical stakeholders including administrators, principals, teachers, parents, and students on their role in creating and sustaining the cultures of change critical to the transition from static textbooks to dynamic digital learning environments. Presentations include:
• Transformation: From Vision to Reality — Monday, Sept. 23 – 1 – 1:30 p.m. EST. In her presentation, Dr. Valerie Truesdale, Chief Learning Services Officer in North Carolina’s Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, will discuss how to communicate a vision for digital learning and create momentum for the cultural shift needed for digital transformation.
• Supporting Educators Through the Transition — Tuesday, Sept. 24 – 1 – 1:30 p.m. EST. In a live interview with Discovery Education’s Vice President of Learning Communities Lance Rougeux, a Principal in Alabama’s Gadsden School District, Delsia Easley, will share how she motivated teachers to embrace digital teaching as well as provide strategies and tactics for supporting classroom staff as they shift instruction.
• The Model Lesson –Wednesday, Sept. 25 – 1 – 1:30 p.m. EST. Cheryl Lykowski, a teacher in Michigan’s Bedford Public Schools, will present a model lesson created with digital content and delivered with educational technologies.
• How Parents Can Help Students Navigate the Digital Age — Thursday, Sept. 26 – 8 – 8:30 p.m. EST. Leon Pridgen, the parent of students in North Carolina’s nationally recognized Mooresville Graded School District, will talk about the impact digital learning has had on his children, how he became an advocate for the transition to digital learning, and effective ways parents can work with administrators to support changing the culture in schools.
• Student Work — Friday, September 27 – 1 – 1:30 p.m. EST. One Community, Five Voices will close with a presentation from a 5th grade classroom in Albuquerque Public Schools. During this session, teacher Susan Bowdoin and her students will share with participants real projects indicative of a school system’s cultural shift to digital learning environments.
“We know it takes the concerted efforts of a variety of stakeholders to create the authentic learning environments our students need for college, career and citizenship readiness,” said Scott Kinney, Senior Vice President, Discovery Education. “One Community, Five Voices will provide insight into how key stakeholders can support a cultural shift to digital learning, and what digital instruction can look like in practice. We invite anyone with an interest in improving teaching and learning with educational technologies and digital content to attend this powerful event.”
For more information and to register for the events please visit http://www.discoveryeducation.com/OneCommunity. For more information about Discovery Education services and resources from Discovery Education, visit www.discoveryeducation.com.
About Discovery Education
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content that supports the implementation of Common Core, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Available in over half of all U.S. schools, community colleges and in 50 countries around the world, Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education is powered by Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK), the number one nonfiction media company in the world, Explore the future of education at www.discoveryeducation.com.
# # #