Name: World’s Worst Pet
What is it? Help students build a vocabulary of essential words. World’s Worst Pet exposes students to over 1000 Tier Two words at 6 different levels through four engaging games. Aligned to the Common Core, this app provides student-friendly definitions, a playful narrative, a reward system and thought-provoking writing prompts.
Best for: Grades 4-8
Requirements: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Teaches more than 1000 words across five grade levels, from grades 4 – 8 with content available for students who are working a level behind.
- Student-friendly definitions provide clear explanations with examples that illustrate how each word is used.
- Engaging narrative and reward system keeps students motivated.
- Activities include word context, word sort, synonyms, and antonyms.
- Students see the same word multiple times in a single set of activities.
- Includes Spanish cognates.
- Includes immediate feedback.
- Uses a real human voice; not synthesized robotic speech.
- Aligns with Common Core State Standards.
- Writing prompts provide an opportunity to use words in types of writing identified by the Common Core.
- #4: 25 education trends for 2018 - December 26, 2018
- Video of the Week: Dealing with digital distraction in the classroom - February 23, 2018
- Secrets from the library lines: 5 ways schools can boost digital engagement - January 2, 2018