[In no particular order. Initiatives begin with their oldest version and go to the current version.]
1. Desktop computers; 1:1 laptops; 1:1 tablets; BYOD.
2. No Child Left Behind (NCLB); Race to the Top (RTTT); Common Core State Standards (CCSS); Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
3. Scantron testing; computer-based testing; adaptive testing.
4. Overhead projectors; interactive whiteboards; Student Response Systems (SRS); 3D projectors.
5. Web 2.0 online resources; eBooks; Create-Your-Own textbooks.
6. Online learning; blended learning; Flipped Learning.
7. Extracurriculars; longer school days; year-round school; after-school activities.
8. School day divided by subject and bells; gendered classrooms; open classroom design.
9. Chat rooms; Facebook; virtual reality; safe social networking through classroom learning networks.
10. Card cataloging skills; online search skills; digital literacy skills.
BONUS! When initiatives move backward: Latin and Greek; French and German; Spanish and Chinese…English.
- #4: 25 education trends for 2018 - December 26, 2018
- Video of the Week: Dealing with digital distraction in the classroom - February 23, 2018
- Secrets from the library lines: 5 ways schools can boost digital engagement - January 2, 2018