What is it? The official TED app presents talks from some of the world’s most fascinating people: education radicals, tech geniuses, medical mavericks, business gurus and music legends. Find more than 1,400 TEDTalk videos (with more added each week).
Best for: High school students and up. Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5. Requires Android 2.2 and up.
- Watch TEDTalks with subtitles in over 90 languages directly on your device through TED’s new video player, or use AirPlay to watch them on your home entertainment system.
- Curate your own playlist. Download full videos to your device and watch them when you’re offline. Listen to an on-demand playlist of TEDTalks audio at any time.
The TED app updates almost every day with new talks from TED events around the world.
- Sort the featured library by date or popularity. Browse talks by tags, themes, or language.
Links: [Apple] https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ted/id376183339?mt=8
Name: The Teacher’s Guide to iPad – Help for educators using iPads and mobile learning in their classroom
What is it? This app is packed full of video demonstrations that will assist in getting familiar with the features and functions of the iPad and iOS 7. Created with teachers in mind, videos are proportioned to your iPad and utilize text, and graphics and narration. It also features a directory of over 100 free or moderately priced apps of interest to education and classroom use, all reviewed and recommended by teachers.
Best for: Teachers. Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
- The Teacher’s Guide to iPad feature resources and news for teachers, parents and students which includes: Links to a growing list of over 200 iPad resources ready for you to use in the classroom; app reviews of over 200 free to reasonable educational apps; social network integrated sharing; Appcentric community with chat room to communicate with other app owners/users.
What is it? Turn your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into a student response pad (clicker) with the vPad app. Automatically indicate you’re in class. Have students easily participate during lessons, quizzes, and tests when by answering questions and receiving immediate feedback.
Best for: Teachers for classroom management. Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
- Let students connect to sessions, answer questions, and receive immediate feedback.
- Allow students to answer numeric, true-false, multiple-choice, multiple-select, or short-answer questions.
- Includes teacher-led, student-led and impromptu modes.
Link: [Apple] https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vpad/id573294524?mt=8
Name: Word Wizard – Talking Movable Alphabet & Spelling Tests for Kids
What is it? Word Wizard is a unique app that lets kids hear the sounds of letters and words using a talking movable alphabet. Featuring advanced text-to-speech capabilities, the app can pronounce and spell-check an unlimited number of original words and sentences built using a phonics movable alphabet. Described as “Speak ‘N Spell for the iPad Generation” by The New York Times; named “Editor’s Choice Award for Excellence in Design” by Children’s Technology Review; winner of a Parents’ Choice Award; and featured by Apple as ‘New and Noteworthy’ for iPad and iPhone, and in ‘Apps For Learning to Write’ & ‘Apps for Kids’
Best for: Youngers students and those with special needs. Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
- The app can pronounce and spell-check an unlimited number of original words and sentences built using a phonics movable alphabet.
- Word Wizard also provides spelling practice with a list of more than 1,400 questions and answers.
- Add your own words to create any spelling quiz.
- Track the progress of your kids thanks to detailed reports.