(September 17, 2014) – The FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC®) game for the 2014-2015 season has been announced, and from the looks of it, competing robots will need a good supply of strength, durability, and flexibility.
This year’s game, CASCADE EFFECT, will require robots that can, both autonomously and while being remotely controlled by an operator, collect balls and place them in both stationary and rolling goals, move on and off platforms, knock over kickstands to put more balls into play, and move themselves and rolling goals into a specific area.
As all FTC competitors know, both maneuverability and durability are important in these challenges. Teams need to create robots that can both avoid other robots as well as withstand the inevitable crash of robot-vs-robot action. Additionally, teams need a robotics system that has flexibility, allowing plenty of room for creativity in the design process. With these capabilities and more, it’s easy to see why Pitsco’s TETRIX® MAX Building System is the top choice for FTC teams worldwide. With its aircraft-grade aluminum parts, powerful drive motors, and patented hole pattern, TETRIX MAX provides everything needed to create a formidable FTC bot.
“TETRIX MAX is designed to deliver the ultimate power and durability features needed to compete within the FTC game challenge arena,” explained TETRIX creator Paul Uttley. “The structural building elements and gearing are made from high-grade aluminum alloy, while powerful DC motors and servo options provide the muscle to withstand the stresses of FTC competition. In addition, the TETRIX MAX parts and pieces are designed to easily interconnect with each other as well as with the new TETRIX PRIME line, providing unlimited design possibilities and flexibility to create very capable, maneuverable, and powerful robot designs.”
In addition to the parts provided in the FTC Competition Kit w/o MINDSTORMS® and the FTC Resource Set, the following TETRIX parts might prove especially helpful in CASCADE EFFECT:
• Rack and Pinion Linear Slide: Perfect for adding a conveyor or sorter. Pack includes four nylon rack gears, four nylon slide blocks, and one aluminum pinion gear.
• Tank Tread Accessory: Pack includes 24 Tread Conveyor Paddles and 50 Tread Rubber Inserts.
• Tank Tread Kit: Give your robot the necessary traction with an additional 6.5 feet of tank tread.
As always, be sure to check the official FTC game manual for rules and acceptable parts.
• For information on FTC, visit http://www3.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/ftc.
• Access the game page for CASCADE EFFECT at http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/ftc/game.
• For information on TETRIX, visit http://www.tetrixrobotics.com.
• For information on the TETRIX FTC kit, visit http://www.tetrixrobotics.com/Competitions/FTC/Robotics_Platform/.
• Click to Tweet: TETRIX® MAX Building System top choice for FIRST® Tech Challenge teams http://www.pitsco.com/About/?art=7599
• Images: For high-resolution images, email Publicrelations@pitsco.com.
Pitsco Education is the leading provider of age-appropriate, student-centered K-12 STEM learning solutions. Our standards-based curriculum, products, equipment, and materials promote student success through positive and challenging learning experiences, and our hands-on solutions teach core concepts and career skills in science, technology, engineering, and math.