Here is how 5 schools and districts are personalizing learning for their students:
1. Lindsay Unified Public Schools: The district personalizes learning by giving students a performance-based model that lets students progress after they demonstrate mastery. School days are split between self-directed learning and teacher-led instruction. District teachers are called “learning facilitators,” and even during teacher-led instruction, students can choose from various assignments and learning experiences. The district’s online Empower system tracks student data to ensure all students are successful on their learning paths.
2. North Queens Community High School: The school, which relies on mastery-based grading, focuses on organizing its structure around what each student needs to be successful. Focusing on growth helps students succeed while giving them responsibility for their own education.
3. Taylor County School District: District leaders realized that “one size fits all” doesn’t work when it comes to student learning. Now, teachers and students work together to create individualized learnig plans based on students’ needs, interests and goals. The approach includes project-based learning, self-based learning, online learning, and peer-led instruction.
4. JFK Eagle Academy: The school developed a program focused around Socratic seminars and leadership development, because teachers and school leaders believe students benefit from inquiry, critical thinking and problem solving. Students work at their own pace toward college and career readiness.
5. LINC High School: School administrators believe every student can be a leader, and student agency, leadership and character education is an important part of the school’s philosophy. Classes aren’t organized into traditional subjects, but instead are grouped into 30-day “learning modules” that integrate various subjects and let students explore local, national and international issues through research and critical thinking.
- 4 challenges–and solutions–around assessments and accountability - May 14, 2021
- How outdoor learning spaces lead to STEM engagement - May 12, 2021
- 7 ways to focus stimulus spending on students with disabilities - May 10, 2021