How to Integrate Technology into the Modern Classroom
Above all, the 21st-century classroom requires a flexible layout that allows teachers to group students in a variety of ways. This means that furniture should allow for several layouts, and technology should be equally portable. A range of solutions will provide the most flexibility for teachers and students alike:
- Projectors. Teachers can save time by making slide shows and gathering display materials ahead of time and broadcast them to the whole classroom without having to turn their back to students. High-definition images and full teacher attention on the class increases engagement and helps streamline both classroom management and learning.
- Interactive White Boards. Today’s students are used to interacting with technology in their daily lives, so their expectations are high. Interactive white boards or touchscreens allow teachers to deliver engaging whole-class lessons and provide a place for students to share ideas. Interacting with in-the-moment surveys and assessment provides instant feedback to teachers and keeps things fun for students.
- Desktop Monitors. Several workstations with desktop monitors allows groups of students to gather to work together on the same topic. This equipment stands up to the demands of many hands and is perfect for internet research and practicing skills via dedicated software.
- Large Screen Displays. Crisp displays are sharp enough to show every detail of an image or video, which lets teachers bring the best media from around the world to their students. Touch-integrated screens allow for up-to-date multimedia presentations for both students and teachers. Hang one opposite the main projector to create two separate learning areas.
- Individual Devices. Tailor learning and assessment to the individual with handheld devices. Use them to deliver a quiz via touchscreen, provide individualized passages to an e-reader or encourage student collaboration by connecting devices to a smart board at the front of the room. These devices can be used in groups or wherever students gather in the classroom.
- Interactive Technologies. Get the most out of individual devices by connecting them via hardware/software integrating programs like NEC’s DisplayNote or MultiPresenter to share information and collect work on a single screen. Collaborative displays also allow for sharing computers and devices like Raspberry Pi across the classroom to take brainstorming and group work to a new level.
With smart technology integrated into the classroom, students benefit equally from independent and collaborative learning. Teachers can reach individual needs while tracking progress with ease. When learning centers are enhanced with the right technology, a wide world of learning is opened to all.
NEC has been developing visual products with schools in mind for years, offering complete classroom solutions that include displays, software, and touch overlays and other peripherals. These solutions make adding technology to the classroom easier than ever.
- K-12 staffing shortages threaten reading instruction–AI can help - October 5, 2022
- How schools can become air quality champions this year - October 5, 2022
- Using online modules to strengthen teacher leadership programs - October 4, 2022