Districts face numerous challenges when implementing 1:1 mobile device initiatives. They often choose different devices for different grade levels that have various capabilities and system requirements. While it is important to choose devices that support the curriculum, there are other critical factors that can determine the overall success of the initiative.
Some of the important issues to incorporate into the district’s plan include:
- Sufficient back end infrastructure and bandwidth to support 1:1;
- Adequate professional development for all the stakeholders: the tech team, administrators, teachers, and families;
- Mobile device management;
- Contracted service support for devices and infrastructure;
- And finally, defined district policies.