Untethered Learning: What Every School Leader Should Know
Date: May 26, 2010
Time: 2:00 pm EDT / 11:00 am PST
Duration: One hour (15 mins for Q&A)
Faced with the challenge of boosting student achievement amid tough budget constraints, many school districts are turning to online learning as a cost-effective way to offer individual learning opportunities for their students. This approach is supported by a growing student interest in online classes, as a recent national survey confirms.
For the past seven years, the annual Speak Up survey has collected and reported on the authentic, unfiltered views of more than 1.85 million K-12 students, teachers, parents, and administrators on the role of emerging technologies in enhancing education. Findings from the Speak Up 2009 survey reveal that students are particularly interested in “untethered learning” experiences that transcend the physical boundaries of their classroom walls and allow them to personalize their education.
In this webinar, Julie Evans, CEO of the education nonprofit that facilitates the Speak Up survey, will share what the 300,000 students who took last year’s survey had to say about the benefits of online classes, and what barriers they face in seeking online learning opportunities. Participants also will hear how today’s education leaders are approaching online learning from a panel of distinguished educators and thought leaders who will share proven tips for successful implementation.
Webinar attendees interested in pursuing online learning as a strategic goal will gain an enhanced understanding and new, user-oriented perspective on the potential impact of online learning. Takeaways include:
- Based upon an analysis of students’ current participation in online classes, an increased knowledge base about the kinds of online learning that is taking place, both in school and out of school.
- Increased understanding about why online learning is a key component in the student vision of 21st century education – from the student point of view.
- Appreciation for the different factors that motivate students and parents to explore online learning.
- Understanding of what is driving many administrators to consider online learning as a strategic direction; and what they consider the biggest challenges in implementing online learning.
- First hand perspectives on the impact of online learning on students and teachers, and tested advice from a panel of experts to guide your successful implementation.
Additionally, the webinar will include information about how a variety of innovative school districts are effectively leveraging online learning to meet the needs of their diverse student populations efficiently and cost-effectively.
Senior Vice President
Chief Executive Officer
Click through to page 2 to view the archived video….