What is it? Designed by Harvard Education School graduate Dr. Michael W. Connell, and developed by a team of MIT engineers, Native Numbers is a research-based, complete curriculum to help early learners develop Number Sense (the conceptual foundations for arithmetic and beyond).
Best for: Typically, it is used with children between 4-7 years old, although it is being used in a number of classrooms with older children who can benefit from it for various reasons.
Price: $2.99 for the full 25 activities, or FREE for the Lite version, which include the first 5 activities.
Requirements: Compatible with iPad. Requires iOS 5.0 or later.
Features: Native Numbers has 25 sequenced activities that develop an understanding of several core concepts and skills, including:
- Number Representations: Identify the numbers 1-9 as continuous quantities (rods), discrete quantities (sets of animals), and symbols (numerals)
- Number Relations: Answer questions about number relationships using a variety of visual representations and vocabulary (greater/less, bigger/smaller, heavier/lighter, etc.)
- Ordering: Arrange numbers in order from small to big and big to small.
- Counting: Use numbers to put a set of objects in order (ordinal numbers) and to determine how many objects are in a set (cardinal numbers)
- Demonstrate Mastery: Apply concepts from previous activities to novel, untrained examples
Links: Native Numbers: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/native-numbers-complete-number/id570231808?mt=8