What is it? A true weather app for kids designed by a 6-year-old boy (and his meteorologist dad). Power packed with real-time weather conditions, forecasts, science, and fun facts about the weather; plus, it’s interactive. This includes math and science with S.T.E.M in mind.
Best for: Younger children and students.
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 5.0 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5; Requires Android 2.1 and up.
- Display of the weather with a kid or animal avatar dressed for conditions and short term forecasts. Use your hometown or pick a new location to track.
- Change your avatar and make the animals either a boy or a girl.
- The Wear interactive feature lets you change the weather on your own when it might be boring outside. Raise or lower the temperature, make it sunny, rainy, snowy, or anything in between. See how your avatar will dress in those conditions.
- Educational: Trivia, fun facts, safety tips, and extreme weather records. Learn something new every day of the year. Topics include: Animal Weather, Clouds, Expressions, Extreme Weather, Instruments, Lightning, Nursery Rhymes and Song Lyrics, Rainbows, Sky Color, Seasons, Top US Cities for snow, US State Records, Weather Folklore, Weather Map symbols.
- Math: Includes a Fahrenheit to Celsius calculator
- Graphing: Plot basic weather conditions and keep track by week and month. A great way to introduce kids to a key element of S.T.E.M graphing
Links: [Apple] https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kid-weather/id576008071?mt=8