A new app helps students with often-dreaded fractions
Name: Quick Fractions
What is it? Hate fractions? That’s ok! Quick Fractions is here to help you master one of the most troublesome areas of mathematics! Perfect for those just starting out with fractions, more advanced students, or even adults looking for a challenge.
Best for: Students ages 9-11
Requirements: iOS 7.0 or later
- Operations games scaffold the process for adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions, and the new help section gives some handy reminders if you get stuck!
- Practice creating equivalence with and comparing fractions, decimals and percentages, enhancing understanding of how the three relate.
- Handwriting answers means students work out the answer instead of guessing from a range of presented options.
- Track progress in each mode and difficulty level. Keep practicing to improve your score and unlock new avatars.
Four game modes include:
- Equivalence: create equivalence with fractions, decimal and percentages.
- Compare: use estimation and fraction knowledge to compare fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Addition and subtraction: use mental arithmetic to add and subtract using proper and improper fractions and mixed numerals.
- Multiplication and division: use mental arithmetic to multiply and divide using proper and improper fractions and mixed numerals.