- Understand your energy use: Implement software tools that measure current data center energy consumption.
- Explore the solutions ratings maps: Find solutions that offer your organization achievable savings from your next investments.
- Compare and estimate savings: Compare current savings with averages from other organizations and estimate savings for future investments.
- Raise the issue: Share investment plans and savings projections with senior management to prioritize green initiatives.
- Consider cloud: Establish cloud building blocks, such as server virtualization, to prepare your organization for the next level of energy efficient technology.
“While cloud computing is a market basket of discrete technologies and services,” said Norm Lillis, vice president of systems solutions at CDW, “it is entirely about IT efficiency, and as a strategy, it can deliver significant energy savings that will complement other solutions within the data center.”
Education stakeholders are working to spread awareness and implement green and energy-efficient practices.
The U.S. Education Department created the Green Ribbon Schools program to recognize schools that are creating healthy and sustainable learning environments and teaching environmental literacy. The awards program receives support from the White House Council on Environmental Quality and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
The Consortium for School Networking’s Green Computing Leadership Initiative provides tools, tips, and resources for school technology leaders to help reduce their school district carbon footprint.
In 2009, CoSN and EPEAT launched CoSN’s Green Computing Certification Program. The program for schools and school districts recognizes school leaders who are taking the lead in establishing comprehensive greener computing policies and following them up with targeted actions that reduce energy consumption, greenhouses gases, waste, and toxics.
- As ESSER spending increases, digital learning is a priority - June 1, 2023
- 5 fun STEM videos for hard-to-engage students - May 31, 2023
- Survey highlights troubling teacher morale issues - May 31, 2023