PITTSBURGH, PA – The landscape of education has changed in the last decade, and even more so in the last 24 months. Technology has become integral to education, 71% of US students claim to use laptops in the classroom ( McKinsey). In 2016, the self-paced eLearning industry made up $46.67 billion of the global market share, and by 2022, that number is projected to exceed $243 billion ( Statista). It’s clear that education technology, also known as EdTech, has seen many changes and challenges but one thing stands out — the industry is expected to continue to grow with an even stronger focus on technology, which means there will be a high demand for individuals who can support it.
SmarterServices has been at the forefront of EdTech for two decades, serving unmet market challenges facing learners, instructors, institutions, and organizations. They have provided continued support over the last two decades, as one employee, Rachel Sipper, celebrates her 15th anniversary at SmarterServices within her EdTech role as Tech Support Specialist.
Sipper has a background in website design and was referred to SmarterServices based on her design work. She has been with SmarterServices since the company’s inception and has seen it from a company of fewer than 5 employees to over 50 employees nationwide. When Sipper first took on her role, she started providing support through an email-based ticket submission process, providing technology solutions to teachers and students alike. As the SmarterServices team grew and product offerings expanded, the support team’s workload increased from 1,000 tickets per month to 500 tickets per day. But that never deterred Sipper.
“I love the people I work with and the feedback I receive,” Sipper said. “We have done a great job of curating a group of people who are reliable and passionate. I love that my entire team cares about our product and our customers, we believe in the work that we do and what SmarterServices provides to schools and students.”
Most people have never heard of a career in educational or instructional technology. However, this is a fast-growing industry. EdTech is expected to have a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 18.1% year-over-year through 2027 ( Grandview). For those interested, building a career in EdTech wouldn’t be difficult. Sipper shared some insights that she’s picked up in the last 15 years, including:
- Keep pursuing knowledge and using all the resources available to you to become an asset.
- Branch out on the hard and soft skills you currently possess.
- Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty — design a website, even if it never goes live. Walk yourself through the UI and UX designs and learn to troubleshoot front the front and backend to better understand what a potential customer will experience.
- Never stop making connections, whether it’s on LinkedIn or in person. Get to know the industry and the people in it.
“I got lucky, being referred to SmarterServices, but that luck quickly turned into love,” Sipper continued. “I plan on staying as long as I can. It continues, every year, to be a good fit for me.”
SmarterServices is a full-spectrum assessment services company that solves unmet market challenges facing learners, instructors, institutions, and organizations by developing unique educational technology solutions to improve a learner’s success. With over 150 years of combined experience in higher education and tools like SmarterProctoring, SmarterID, and SmarterMeasure, they equip schools with the necessary tools needed regarding student readiness, testing, and integrity. Learn more at www.smarterservices.com.
- American Student Assistance Announces Strategic Alliance with Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship - December 1, 2023
- HSPA named a 5-Star Innovative School 2023 in The Educator report for Mastery Learning - November 29, 2023
- ParentPowered PBC Appoints new Chairman of the Board: Luis Duarte, Partner at Imaginable Futures, as Company Ushers in the Next Phase of Growth - November 28, 2023