3. M:EE also provides a creative way to utilize formative assessments in the classroom. The service includes built-in assessment tools such as the camera, book and quill, and boards (like chalkboard and poster) that can be used by students as they build and create to document their work. Flipgrid is also a great edtech tool that can be used in M:EE to help students conduct a screen capture of their build and provide a reflection or explanation of their build.
4. M:EE also integrates with your favorite edtech tools. For instance, Discovery Education’s K-12 platform is used extensively in our district and teachers can easily add videos, virtual field trips, or studio boards from Discovery Education via links to the chalkboard in M:EE, which helps students access this content and expand their knowledge as they complete their build. Additionally, students can use this same approach and create a diorama in Minecraft and add supporting content and details through the use of videos and other content from Discovery Education by adding the links to boards.
Discovery Education also recently launched the Minecraft: Education Edition Channel within its K-12 platform. This channel provides educators useful lesson plans as well as ready-to-use activities that support students as they explore Minecraft Worlds and uncover important subject area content and skills. If your district uses M:EE and Discovery Education’s resources, check this content out!
5. Finally, I strongly encourage educators to look to the Minecraft experts (AKA the students) in their building. In Atlanta Public Schools, we created a Minecraft Student Ambassador Program which allowed students to train and support teachers with using M:EE in the classroom. Minecraft Student Ambassadors are a terrific way for educators to bring Minecraft into their classroom. If you would like to learn more about the Minecraft Student Ambassador Program, check out this Learning Pathway in Microsoft Learn.
As you can see, Minecraft EDU is a wonderful way to increase student engagement while also allowing students to express themselves creatively. It also provides educators the opportunity to bring game-based learning into the classroom while allowing students to play, craft, and learn. I encourage all educators to begin using this resource today!
- How esports is creating scholarships, jobs, and school investments - March 23, 2023
- 6 ways to help reluctant readers become booklovers - March 22, 2023
- How to evaluate literacy programs that pledge to accelerate learning - March 22, 2023