- AI tools can greatly personalize and individualize tutoring
- ChatGPT brings new perspectives to old problems and helps students think outside of the box
As the layers of post-pandemic classrooms are peeled back and learning losses become more evident, schools are searching for effective means to improve student achievement. Tutoring plays a major role in these efforts–and now, advances in AI are taking tutoring to a new level.
As the NAEP results made clear, students lost an alarming amount of progress in reading and mathematics. Already-overburdened teachers are scrambling to play catch-up and fit entire months of lost learning into their instruction.
Many parents are turning to tutoring solutions to help fill the gaps created by pandemic-related learning loss. As AI tools like ChatGPT become more sophisticated, online and in-home tutoring can become much more personalized for individual students, says Frank Milner, president of Tutor Doctor, which offers one-to-one private tutoring.
“A big part of what makes tutoring effective is the connection and mentorship between tutors and students,” said Milner. “While the tutor-student relationship is inherently human, the developments in AI and the ways it can augment learning are truly exciting. The industry is only scratching the surface in terms of its potential, but we’re constantly hearing from tutors who are using generative AI to go above and beyond to help students learn from developing study questions and brainstorming creative lesson plans to finding educational resources that match students’ individual interests.”
Tutor Doctor uses AI like Chat GPT in a variety of ways. In a chat with eSchool News, Milner offered a look at a number of innovative ways AI technology can take tutoring to the next level.
1. Personalized Tutoring Recommendations: By analyzing data on student performance and learning styles, AI/Chat GPT could be used to recommend personalized tutoring programs that are tailored to each student’s needs. This would help ensure that students get the most effective tutoring possible and could lead to better outcomes in student success.
2. Adaptive Learning: AI/Chat GPT could be used to create adaptive learning programs that adjust the difficulty and pace of instruction based on student performance breaking down concepts to more simplified terms. This would help ensure that students are challenged but not overwhelmed, leading to better learning outcomes.
3. Content Creation: AI/Chat GPT could be used to help create educational content, such as lesson plans, quizzes, and assessments. This could save time for tutors and educators and ensure that content is accurate and effective. Tutors can also use this to create social media content–a huge time saver for their business.
4. Continuing Education: Chat GPT can be used to offer continuing education opportunities to students who want to learn new skills or advance their careers. Chatbots can provide personalized recommendations for courses or learning resources based on the student’s goals and interests.
5. Research: Chat GPT can be used to help students and educators conduct research more efficiently. Chatbots can help students find relevant resources, such as journal articles or research papers, and provide summaries or recommendations for further reading.
6. Problem Solving: Thinking outside of the box. Oftentimes we are stuck in a problem and stuck in our own heads. Chat GPT brings third party perspective solutions or ideas that wouldn’t have come to mind naturally. AI is a great idea generator and it’s up to humans to decipher which of the solutions is the best, most realistic fit for them and the business.
- New research paints an alarming picture of crises facing rural students - December 6, 2023
- 5 things to know about AI in classrooms - November 30, 2023
- Gen Z youth on nondegree paths feel workforce ready - November 30, 2023